VA Short Sale Guidelines


Eglin AFB short sales

The Emerald Coast of Florida has a high military population with both active duty and retired air force personnel.  Eglin Air Force Base is located in Fort Walton Beach, and Hurlburt Field is in Navarre, Florida.  Duke Field and NAS Whiting Field are nearby.  We will be seeing an increase in short sales for GI borrowers when they must relocate during their PCS moves (permanent change of station).  VA Short Sales are called “Offers in Compromise“, “Compromise Claims” or “Compromise Sales”.  The VA may accept a Compromise Sale if the cost to the VA is determined to be less than that of foreclosure.

The VA website says: “If the borrower is unable to sell the property for an amount that is greater than or equal to what he/she owes on the loan, including closing costs, VA may pay a “compromise claim” for the difference in order to allow the private sale to go through. The borrower can sell the property to a buyer who gets his/her own financing or to a buyer who wants to assume the loan. However, with a compromise assumption, the lender does have to agree to have the amount of its guaranty reduced by the amount of the claim payment. In order to be considered for a compromise sale, several factors must be considered.”

VA Compromise Sale Factors:

1. You may only sell the home for fair market value.

2. The closing costs must be “reasonable and customary”.

3. You must have a valid financial hardship such as loss of income, relocation, death of breadwinner, etc.

4. There should not be a second mortgage on your property, unless it is “insignificant”.  If so, you might ask the junior lienholder to release the lien and convert it to a personal note.

5. You should ensure your sales contract is “contingent and/or subject to the approval of a VA compromise sale.”

If you have a VA loan, and need to do a “Short Sale” or “Compromise Sale”, here is what you must do to begin the process:

1. Contact you lender to see if they are an approved VA Servicer Loss Mitigation lender and/or contact the VA regional office servicing your loan directly.

2. Fill out a financial status report form provided by your lender or the VA.

3. Complete a letter of request.

4. Complete a Compromise Agreement Sale Application. You can get this form from the VA or the approved lender.

Final Important Points:

1.  Your lender does not have to agree to a Compromise Sale.

2.  For VA loans originated on or before December 31, 1989, you might have to sign a promissory note at closing agreeing to repay VA for the deficiency remaining after the property is sold.

3.  An experienced Short Sale Realtor should guide you through the sales process, help you determine fair market value and prepare your package for submission to your lender or the VA.

For more information, contact your VA Regional Loan Center.


Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *