You’ve listed your Destin Florida home for sale, and turned it over to the hands of your trusted Destin real estate agent. Now what? Maybe you can help with the sale! It’s not “disallowed” to help get your own house sold. I know, you don’t want to be pushy and you are probably not a professional salesperson. But guess what? There are ways to help your Realtor without coming across as blowing your own horn to get your house sold. Why should you bother to help at all? Isn’t all the advertising up to your agent? Yes, of course, but if you support her efforts, the results will be magnified and you may actually find a buyer for your home. I have provided you with 20 ways you can support your agent and advertise a little bit yourself for practically free! I bet your agent would love it. I know I would.
Here are some simple things you can do to get the word out about your Destin property for sale. Pick and choose a few that you feel comfortable with, as some tips are more “techy” than others. If you are not active online, skip down to number 10, but it’s well worth it to give some of my online tips a try, too If you team up with your real estate agent, you will be on your way to getting your Destin house sold faster! 20 tips, away we go:
- Facebook. Do you use Facebook? Here are a few ways you can get the word out about your house for sale there. Your real estate agent probably has a Facebook. business page, a unique website for your property, or both. (For example, I use Realbird, a program to create single property websites.) Use the link provided by your agent to this website about your home, or a blog post they’ve written, and post it on your Facebook page. Ask your friends to share the link! Since your link will direct back to your agent, so you won’t have to personally field sales calls. To promote your agent’s work further, “Fan” their Facebook business page. When they post any entry about your Destin home, “Like” the post, comment on it and share! Ask for re-shares! Write a review on your agent’s Facebook page, which promotes their site, in turn promoting you. Oh. Don’t forget to “Check in” at your agent’s place of business online!
- Twitter. If you have a Twitter account, tweet a picture of your house with the “add photo” option. Photos get a better response on Twitter than just text or link posts. Include in your tweet a link to your agent’s single property website about your home. Here’s another idea – when your agent tweets about your Destin listing, “Favorite” it and “Retweet” it. We’re talking “get attention”!
- Pinterest. Lots of people use Pinterest for personal scrapbooking, but why don’t you make a Pinterest “board” featuring your property, with a link back to your Realtor’s ad? Most agents have Pinterest boards about different cities (like Destin, Santa Rosa Beach, Chicago, you get it). What you can do, instead, is have a whole Pinterest board just for your Destin Florida house. Label it your “Street name, City”. Pin photos of different rooms and exterior shots on the board. Each photo should have a website link back to your agent’s single property website for your home, their blog post, or Youtube video. Use your agent’s professional photos, or take some good ones on your own. Bring out potential memories for a future buyer that they can imagine in different settings, like the kitchen and sunroom! Example – “Cooking on the gas stove while watching the kids out the window will make you smile.” If you are not sure what to write, ask your agent for ideas. A further step you can take is to re-pin your agent’s pin on your house to your Pinterest board.
- Google+. Do you have a Google+ account? It’s easy to join. After you do, find your agent’s Google profile and add them to your circles. They should add you back! When they post about your home, do three things, press the “Plus 1” button showing you like your agent’s post (similar to Facebook), then comment something positive about your home, then share the post on your own G+ timeline! This social media site also has common interest groups you can join, for example, here is a Destin Florida group that I formed for sharing things to do, restaurant reviews, Destin news and sure, your house for sale!
- Youtube. Your Destin real estate agent probably has a Youtube video or virtual tour about your home online. Check it out and make a nice, positive comment. You have the option to give the video a thumbs up and also share on other social networking sites.
- Tumblr. Tumblr is a pretty hip site. I must admit, I am just ramping up on there! It’s a fun place to post and explore. Click the “heart” on your Destin agent’s post about your property. Tumblr gives you options to share further.
- Blog Post. If your Realtor is into marketing, they should have a blog. When they write about your Destin home, condo, or lot, make a comment if the option is available (sometimes this feature is deactivated). I once had a Destin seller post a comment on my blog article about his vacant Destin lot. He wrote of his vision of how the driveway and future house orientation could best take advantage of the setting. This certainly added interest and a personal perspective to what I was advertising that could be helpful to a potential buyer.
- Linkedin. If you have a Linkedin profile, you can do a few things. Post a link on your feed that points to your agent’s blog post, Youtube video or single property website about your home. Further, add your Destin Realtor as a contact on Linkedin, then comment and “like” their post about your home. If they haven’t posted yet, remind them!
- Military For Sale By Owner sites. Certain military sites only allow service members only to post. That’s ok if you indicate your house is listed with an agent! Since military members regularly get PCS orders (permanent change of station) to move around the country and world, your new base may certainly have other service members transferring to the Eglin Air Force Base or Hurlburt Field who will want a home in the Destin area. You could also use the military by owner website at your new base to highlight your Destin property for sale. Let’s face it, many service members who have been stationed at Eglin AFB hope to one day move back or retire on the beautiful Emerald Coast of Florida.
- Homeowners Association. I used to live in a subdivision in Destin with a neighborhood bulletin board near the community mailboxes. You could post a flyer, or get one from your agent, and if allowed, post your home for sale information there. Neighbors walking by may see your flyer, or if it’s a short-term rental neighborhood, there may be renters who may be interested in buying there. Condo complexes also have community bulletin boards near the check-in area or community room. If you cannot put up a flyer, why not tack up a few of your agent’s business cards? Here’s another idea… some homeowners or condo association have websites where you can post to an online bulletin board, email the owners, or post to the HOA’s website. Remember to post a link that will direct back to your professional real estate broker.
- Former Renters. If your Destin property for sale is a condo or short-term rental house, did you keep a list of renters? Send their names, addresses and email addresses to your agent so they can do an email blast that your property is now for sale, or snail mail flyers to see if they may be interested in buying or know someone who is. Since these former renters would be very familiar with your property, what a great to spread the word!
- Sign inside Rental. Here’s an idea if you are still renting out your condo or short term rental home in Destin while you have it for sale. Place a small picture frame on the kitchen counter with a typed notice, “This Unit is For Sale. For inquiries contact….” Then provide all of your agent’s contact info, phone number and email address. You can get a small picture frame for only a few dollars. Note that there are a few property management companies who don’t allow for sale signs inside the units while they are on a rental program.
- Your Emails. Why not change your automatic signature at the bottom of your emails to include a link to your agent’s single property website, blog post or Youtube video for your Destin home? Make sure to change your email signature on your phone, iPad and laptop. Have your spouse do the same. You never know. Even a friend from out-of-state might know someone moving to your area and may forward on the link.
- Your Destin Agent’s Business Cards: Ask for a stack of cards from your agent. If you hear of anyone looking for a home, condo, lot, or new business on the Emerald Coast of Florida, pass along their card. You never know, that one buyer may want your house, or know someone else who may.
- Church Bulletin. If you are involved with a church or synagogue, they may allow you to put an ad in their newsletter, website or bulletin board. When you get an inquiry, direct them to your agent, however, who is skilled at selling on your behalf.
- Your “Other” Realtor. If you’ve already moved out of Florida, let your agent in your new location know your house is for sale back in Destin. For example, if you moved to Georgia, many people there are interested in the Emerald Coast area. Your agent may just have a client moving here! Be sure to give her your Destin Realtor’s information. Yeah, it might sit on their desk on a scrawled stickie note (who does that?), but then the right call could come in and “Bingo”, there is a lead for your house!
- Language Groups: Do you speak a language other than English and have a community of similar language speaking buddies? Help out your agent by translating a flyer into your native tongue, Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, Russian, etc. and posting it where your group meets in their language! So, with many of the hints I have above, replicate them in both English and your mother tongue. You can do the same thing online, on Facebook, Twitter, etc. Offer to translate if someone wants to speak with your agent about your house.
- The Gym. Health club’s usually have a community pin-up board. I know Gold’s Gym in Destin has a cork board where you can put up a business card, postcard or flyer about your home for sale. It’s around the corner to the left after you check in, in front of the water cooler.
- Company Bulletin Board. I know I’ve mentioned bulletin boards three times already. Ditto. Whether you have already moved, live out-of-state or locally, someone at your office may want a house or condo in Destin. Again, if they don’t allow flyers on the bulletin board, tack up your agent’s business cards. You can also do this at many restaurants and other places. I remember a nail salon in Destin that provided little plastic card holders for just such a thing for their customers. Don’t be shy.
- People You Talk To: Here is an example conversation at your doctor’s office. You’ve just checked in with the receptionist. “How are you?” she asks. “Good, but under stress as my condo is for sale. Do you know anyone who might want a unit at XYZ Condo Complex in Destin? You never know, here is my agent’s card.” Take a moment to write your property address on the back of the card when you hand it over. That shows it’s important, and there will be a greater chance of the recipient to retain the card.
There you go! 20 ways to help your Realtor get your Destin home sold.
Ready for more tips or ready to get it SOLD? Give me a call!
It’s Wendy… It’s Sold!
Wendy Rulnick, Broker, Rulnick Realty, Inc.
Call 850-650-7883 ext 204
Email Wendy: [email protected]
Wendy Rulnick, Broker, has been featured in “Kiplinger Personal Finance Magazine” and “Florida Realtor Magazine”. Wendy Rulnick sells real estate in Destin, Santa Rosa Beach, 30A, Miramar Beach, Seagrove Beach, Watercolor, Sandestin, Seaside, Crestview, Rosemary Beach, Mary Esther, Shalimar, Fort Walton Beach, Niceville, Bluewater Bay, Navarre, Panama City Beach.